Monday, April 22, 2013

Dewey

Those of you who have been playing Indian Creek for several years surely remember Pat O'Hara, our former golf professional. He worked with Dewey for a number of years and, upon word of Dewey's passing, wrote the following letter. James Severin has passed it along to me and we both feel it needs to be shared with as many people as possible. It sums up Dewey up perfectly.

"Dewey Ehrenberg to his friends, Dwight on the formal documents in life and probably when he was in trouble as a child or with Helen. Starchy, to the customers at Indian Creek. I was fortunate to call him Dewey.

I met Dewey in July 2000 when I started work at Indian Creek. He always worked the open to noon shift Monday-Friday, April –October. At first Dewey was a little skeptical of me. I was of him. We got to know each other quite well as we worked side by side many early morning shifts during our 6 years together. At first, I wondered what this “cow milking, pole climbing old guy” was doing working at a busy 27-hole public golf course. In the pro-shop no less! I quickly found out why. He was good!

I thought I and the rest of the staff would be working circles around him…We didn’t.

I thought he would be resistant in adapting to MY way of doing things… He wasn’t.

I thought he was going to be a liability to the operation…just the opposite, a true asset.

Who was this guy? I found out over the next 6 years as our friendship grew. I liked Dewey because I saw things in him that I hoped one day people would see in me. Honesty, compassion, friendship, loyalty, integrity, faith and love. I saw one or more of those every day I worked with Dewey.

A few life lessons I learned from Dewey:
  • Don’t shake hands with someone who spent a lot of time milking cows. Looking back on it, I would say that was a big reason he sliced the golf ball.
  • If you say you’re going to do something…do it!
  • Twelve noon is “Miller Time”.
  • Help those who need help.
  • Don’t be afraid to mention that there is “No gambling on Tuesdays” to all the golfers as they walk out the door to the first tee on Tuesday.
  • Finish the job!
Many people measure their success in life in dollars and cents. Dewey measured his in the relationships he had with family and friends. Dewey, was a very successful man! And I will be forever grateful for my 6 years working with my friend Dewey.

Pat O’Hara"
Patrick O'Hara, PGA
Golf Operations Manager
Recreation Centers of Sun City West
C/O Pebblebrook Golf Course
18836 N. 128th Ave.
Sun City West, AZ 85375
Office - 623.544.6499
Cell – 623.236.5240
www.suncitywestgolf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment